Friday, August 17, 2012

Olympics

"You are like a microwave," I say, into space, and "You melt me with warmth progressing into heat from the inside to the outside."
"If you were a dish you'd be a spicy Mexican," I say, and "If you were a dish, you'd be something 100% organic, without any additives, and naturally sweet."


"If you were to point me in the right direction, which way would you point?"

Miscalculated twist due to apathic unconversion of the grumpy mornings.

a miracles curfew impending like a wake up alarm.

when you are hurting and I am hurting, to tackle the curtain of the obvious is ...

a stick of celery after a creamy latte




we made it up





Olympics season


There are seven incarnations (and six correlates) necessary to becoming an Artist: 1. Explorer (Courage) 2. Surveyor (Vision) 3. Miner (Experience) 4. Refiner (Patience) 5. Designer (Intelligence) 6. Maker (Experience) 7. Artist.
First, you must leave the safety of your home and go into the dangers of the world, whether to an actual territory or some unexamined aspect of the psyche. This is what is meant by 'Explorer'.
Next, you must have the vision to recognize your destination once you arrive there. Note that a destination may sometimes also be the journey. This is what is meant by 'Surveyor'.
Third, you must be strong enough to dig up facts, follow veins of history, unearth telling details. This is what is meant by 'Miner'.
Forth, you must have the patience to winnow and process your material into something rare. This may take months or even years. And this is what is meant by 'Refiner'.
Fifth, you must use your intellect to conceive of your material as something meaning more than its origins. This is what is meant by 'Designer'.
Six, you must fashion a work independent of anything that has gone before it including yourself. This is accomplished through experience and what is meant by 'Maker'.
At this stage, the work is acceptable. You will be fortunate to have progressed so far. It is unlikely, however, that you will go any farther. Most do not. But let us assume you are exceptional. Let us assume you are rare. What then does it mean to reach the final incarnation? Only this: at every stage, from 1 through 6, you will risk more, see more, gather more, process more, fashion more, consider more, love more, suffer more, imagine more and in the end know why less means more and leave what doesn't and keep what implies and create what matters. This is what is meant by 'Artist'.

[you know where this is from]
less means more
luge is sled when you do it with the Vikings in the Slagen countryside near the Oslo Fjord



3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The half about creativity reminds me of a book called The Hero's Journey, in which the Hero, you, move from being an Orphan to a Warrior to an Explorer and finally to being a Magician, with maybe a stop or two that I forgot in between. I'm working on being a Magician; so far so good.

I like it. "If you were a dish..."

What's "apathic unconversion"?

28/1/06 1:42 PM  
Blogger Zosja said...

tell me more about the Magician side of you. Has the Mountain been snowed over or have the pagans made lots of paths to play around?

"apathic unconversion" is when people are from different measurement systems, and they are either proudly arrogant or proudly indifferent to convert the speed of southern wind into each others' understandable scale. as in: "so it's 35 degrees out!" "well... I have no clue what that means what you just said" (true story)

28/1/06 2:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I've got a lot of Magic. Events seem to get better when I'm around and lose something when I leave. It's a combination of being observant and patient and then active and participatory when the time is right. I've been noticing for a while that there are times when I lose some magic. For example, the other day I came home from work tired and hungry and grumpy, and I was debating to go out to my friend's concert later that night. I had two bowls of cereal and read a bunch of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which convinced me that I could do anything with the right combination of drugs. So I finished the bottle of wine left over from the previous night's poetry reading and, taking the book with me, left, feeling invigorated. I reached the venue ony to discover that I had got the dates wrong, or someone had given me the wrong dates, and I was a full month early. I was bummed. I went back to St. Henri and tried to get into my friend's studio to watch him paint, but the door was locked and my usual secret entrance was locked too, for the first time. True story. So that was an evening where I definately felt like I was working up some magic, and then it all spilled out in the wrong place. When I work up the magic and things go right, magical things happen.

28/1/06 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home